Adeline E. Hicks Papers, 1917-1987
Faculty Papers Online
UMass Collections Online
Extent: 2 boxes (1.25 linear ft.)
The Adeline Hicks Papers consist largely of manuscript musical scores and parts, composed by Mrs. Hicks in the 1960s and 1970s at the University of Arizona. Also included are lesson-plan photographs illustrating instruction in modern dance given by Mrs. Hicks at the University of Massachusetts from 1917 to 1937. To these have been added brief biographical items, the text of an address, a history of physical education for women at Massachusetts State College written by Mrs. Hicks in 1936, and printed programs for performances of many of her musical compositions.
Adeline E. Hicks, a graduate of the Michigan State Normal College in 1909, and B.A., 1925, established the physical education program for women at the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1917, was made a member of the faculty in 1921, and became Physical Director for Women in 1927. She was one of the earliest exponents of modern dance as part of the physical education curriculum. Under her direction the old Drill Hall was renovated into the women's gymnasium in 1931, and a new athletic field for women was opened in 1936. In 1937 Mrs. Hicks resigned after twenty years of service, at which time she received a citation from the Board of Trustees. In 1949 she retired to Arizona with her husband, Curry S. Hicks, who was head of the department of physical education of the College from 1911 until 1949.
In retirement Mrs. Hicks' interest in modern dance turned toward the composition of music, and for ten years she composed in many different forms and for many different instruments and combinations, including symphonic forms. All of her symphonic pieces were performed by the University of Arizona Orchestra between 1970 and 1976, and many of her compositions for smaller groups were also performed there between 1967 and 1976.